Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Nothing, thanks for asking

Sometimes, it's inevitable.

I have to put the kid in the car and haul butt over to the MIL'S house for a visit. She may know DAYS ahead of time that we are coming. Once we arrive, it's the same. "Have you eaten yet? I could have made something, but I never know if you've eaten."

Wanna know how to solve the mystery? When we call to say we are coming over; ask. Or dare I suggest; offer. I realize it's out of your comfort zone to think of others. Perhaps suggesting it after the fact is the same as actually doing it in your mind.

It's always an uncomfortable conversation. In the early days of dating my husband I made the mistake of admitting to hunger and had to watch her scrounge through her cabinets to locate a box of crackers and an expired can of soup. Mmmmmmmm....Tasty!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've heard those expired cans of soup are good for losing weight. They cause severe stomach cramps which lead to vomiting & diahrrea, and thus, weight loss.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Bossy‚ô•'s YOU said...

well my MIL's house is filled with items that expired around 95...i dont eat there..

10:17 AM  
Blogger grody jo-dee said...

don't go to any trouble, mil. really. don't put yourself out. that would be asking too much.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

We were once asked the "have you eaten?" question by my step-mother in law. To our reply of "no", she told us we could get our own G#$ D@%& supper. We opted to go out for pizza!

2:38 PM  
Blogger apron strings said...

Well my MIL fridge is TOXIC! Hubby and I clean it out every once in awhile. In an earlier post I mentioned she eats out a lot right?

WELL - she never finishes a meal and always brings a takehome carton home. Her fridge is literally a few beverages, a quart of milk, and sea of white foam containers. Occassionally the lids pop open and you try to guess what it was before the mold set in.

Really gross but true... Once we were cleaning it out and found a moldy hunk of pork roast. Unfortunately we didn't put the bag outside and one of her dog's ate it and got terribly sick.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home