Thursday, April 20, 2006

Not Your Party, Cry If You Want To

Dear MIL,
Your son is having a birthday ending in a zero or a five. I accept it is my marital responsibility to plan it. Since I initiated the conversation with you, against my better judgement, you have been nothing but a complete ass. Let us count the ways:

1. Telling my mother about it. Yes, the one you keep emailing even though I ask you not to. She wasn't on the guest list. Thanks for making things awkward.

2. Trying to "troubleshoot" the email invite I sent to members of your family. Yes the link works. Yes your brother figured it out. No, you should not ever get involved with technical matters.

3. I am working the menu and have a theme in mind. I don't care if you think Mexican food is "weird." Please, let's not have any of your tasty pre-packaged macaroni salad that we sampled for easter, or half dozen cupcakes that you brought for a party of 50 guests. Why not stick to devilled eggs? You know - 'cause their so EASY to make.

7 Comments:

Blogger grody jo-dee said...

i think all evil MILs think any food that isn't straight-up americana is "weird". my PILs constantly refer to chinese food, mexican food, and anything GOOD as "too strange and exotic for us". as in, "well, grody, i'm sure it's delicous, but your menus are just too strange and exotic for us."

well, go home and eat your frozen fried chicken dinner, then. enjoy.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Mexican food, thats spicy right?
Ok so FIL thinks so. He can't do spicy that is why we are all out of black pepper, he just won't leave it alone.
Have you noticed that "strange food" or food that "doesn't agree" with them is not just plain 'ol meat & tatters
God bless the in-laws

2:56 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

OOps I almost forgot...
hi there here via Michele's today & my favorites list

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Laura said...

I hope she gets severe indigestion from the Mexican food!

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Paula said...

OMG Is your MIL a my MILs clone? Geez, they sound like the exact same person. LOL

My MIL will invite us to Sunday dinner, make four chicken thighs for seven people and expect that to be enough. Um...yea right. I'm southern, my idea of Sunday dinner is a hell of a lot more than four chicken thighs and some rice.

Sounds like you have everything for the party under control, just go with your plans and ignore the MIL because MILs DEW! LOL

9:05 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Girl - you have one idiotic MIL, honestly! Mine only reminisces about "when my kids were little"...yeah, 43 years AGO you gave birth to the first one...39 years ago you gave birth to my husband. THINGS CHANGE...honestly!

But your MIL seems the worse for wear - and it's YOUR wear and tear!

Michele sent me!

5:49 AM  
Blogger OldMotherHubbardSharesAll said...

I'm so glad I found this site - helps me to remember to be Glenda instead of the Wicked Witch MIL that I like so many of you have.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home