Sunday, May 07, 2006

Where's the BEEF?

MIL,
Your enthusiasm for the birthday bash was evident by your 45-minute early appearance. Newsflash - showing up early for a surprise party just because YOU wanted it to start earlier, does not in fact make it begin any earlier. It does cause me to lose it much, much earlier.

Can I ask you something? 8 devilled eggs (8 halves, 4 whole eggs) for a party of 25? Were you thinking we could hold a lottery to determine who would receive one? Many will enter, only 8 will win.

Did you notice no one responded to your ongoing monologue about being an old lady because your baby turned 40? NOT. YOUR. DAY.

You were aware I was having the party catered by your son's favorite Mexican restaurant. Because I am civil and a proper hostess, I made sure to have burgers and dogs available for your consumption. One thing I will NOT do, is steal the joy that he would have by lighting up the brand new weber grill for the very first time. JUST. WON'T. DO IT. If that means you had to wait an extra 10 minutes for your hamburger, that's a price I'm willing to pay, because it really isn't your day, is it? So just a little thank you for asking him 3 times where your hamburger is. I'm so glad the food was cooled off before he got to sample it. Maybe you could have eaten one of your nasty eggs to tide you over.


Sincerely,
the DIL

8 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

The other eggs went into that lovely potato salad...remember?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

oooh, an egg lottery. It might catch on!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

The rationing of the deviled eggs is just so sad.
That mindset is foreign to me. Her small contribution really wasn't necessary, was it??!! :)

I hope your hubby enjoyed HIS day!!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Maybe you should have frozen the eggs & saved them for 2008 & just tell her your saving them til 2008 when we will have a dozen deviled eggs!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Well, I have to say that if I had the choice of a deviled egg or Mexican food, I'd take the Mexican food any day! LOL

Deviled eggs just can't hold a candle to Mexican food. LOL

I hope your hubby managed to enjoy HIS day inspite of his childish mother.

7:27 PM  
Blogger grody jo-dee said...

she probably poisoned the eggs, and so couldn't eat one herself.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Canada said...

Oh my God - my MIL got annoyed that my hubby barbequed the food at his surprise 30th (he WANTED to!). She kept going over and saying "You shouldn't be doing this at your own party", and telling me the same thing. He was a big boy, it was his choice - GET OVER IT!!

Just found your blog, and I LOVE it - I will be here often! (our 12th wedding ann. is this month, and we've been together almost 19 years, so I have LOADS of stories!!!)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I just sit here and shake my head at the antics of these women. I thought the potato salad story was pretty incredible but 8 devilled eggs for a party of 25? That one's got to be eligible for a prize.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home