Monday, March 20, 2006

Not Good Enough's Entry

I have two, and they are both good, but I'll put my favorite one first and then if there is time I'll post the second.

My MIL is funny about gift-giving. She does not like to exchange gifts at the same time because she needs to assess the gift you gave her and then figure out how much you spent on her so she can spend EXACTLY the same amount, not a penny more. Thus at Christmas we give her her gifts a week before Christmas and then she goes out to buy ours and receive ours a couple days after Christmas Day. And if she thinks you spent too much on her gift she will most certainly not buy your equivalent but deliberately get you something so cheap just to make the point that it is not about what you get but that you should be thankful someone got you something at all. For example, my husband received a water bottle one year. A water bottle. We gave her a cashmere sweater.

3 Comments:

Blogger eyes_only4him said...

OMG...now that is bad..

10:54 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

But I'll bet he stayed just as warm at nights with his water bottle as she did with her cashmere sweater! See? You didn't hafta spend so much!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Money and spending and giving are used to manipulate sometimes. That's all I will say, but it is a very sad thing.
Just buy her a nice gift each birthday & Christmas and try to not get caught up in her game.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home