Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Little Appreciation Is All I Ask

Dear MIL,

I think I need to inform you about the wonders of technology. There is this amazing invention called the computer that can inform you, up to the minute, when something, like a bouquet of flowers, has been delivered to someone's house. It is a helpful way to make sure a gift you painstakingly picked out, spent a lot of money on and sent to someone's house gets delivered safely and on time. Thus, I knew that the bouquet I ordered for you (from your son and myself) for Mother's Day arrived at your house at noon today. Due to the fear of inclement weather ruining the delicate blossoms, I called you after 3 PM, 3 hours after delivery, to make sure you received the flowers. Nothing was said upon realizing it was me on the phone and imagine my surprise at being forced to listen to a ten minute interlude describing the bouquet your other son and daughter-in-law sent you, gushing about how thoughtful it was of them to think of you and then finish it up with the afterthought, "Oh and the one you guys sent was nice too."

Next year, prepare for disappointment.

Fondly,
Your DIL

14 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Amen to that! How hard is it to just say "thank you for the lovely flowers"? I hate evil MIL's....

9:36 PM  
Blogger My float said...

Time to cut the in-law umbilical cord, I think. This woman deserves nothing. She is an awful awful person. What a waste of time and money.

2:13 AM  
Blogger OMH said...

That is just WRONG! Terribly Terribly WRONG! May there be insects in the one from the other "DIL" and may she be bit by them numerous times!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Years ago there was a company that would send roses pressed out of horse manure. Too bad they're not around any more.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Canada said...

Unbelieveable!! The nerve! I'm glad this isn't an issue with my MIL, but it sounds remarkably like the MIL of my friend.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That was just so WRONG of her. She is just evil

6:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey... next year tell your husband he has to take care of her mother's day gift! I bet you she won't get one!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

I love this blog! I feel so bad for all of you because I hit the jackpot when it comes to in laws.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think next year I would send some Roses a la Morticia Adams - you know how she always cut the heads off and just left the thorns?

2:47 PM  
Blogger M. said...

Oh my.

Just found this blog and... I get it (snickering behind my hand). I'm so glad you all are doing your snarky bit out here. It makes me feel just a little bit better.

5:27 PM  
Blogger mrs. awesome said...

you know that you can send black roses...or you can be like the guy who got fired from the company hubby works for--he sent a box of his own feces to his former boss! :) lol

my MIL didn't acknowledge the big box of royal riviera pears we sent her for her birthday. i so feel the rage with ya.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this blog--it's fantastic! I can't believe that your MIL would do that.

Thank goodness I'm the only DIL now, and the other two sons have no interest in either marriage or having her in their lives even if they were married. The downside is that I'm the only DIL, so I get to deal with all the "bonding" crap that she thinks she missed out on with no daughters because she has 2 sons and a stepson.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Remind me next year to email you a link to purchase chocolate covered dog shit that will arrive on her doorstep in a lovely reusable tin.

6:45 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

My first thought is a nice flower pot filled with dirt & a packet of seeds. 'What they are onions!'

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home