Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sea of Bad Taste

Dearest MIL,

When someone sends you a birthday gift, the proper thing to do is say "thank you". I know that you suffer from an extreme lack of manners, but one can at least say "thank you" when one is on the phone with the gift-giver. yes, that's right--it went like this:

hubby (son)--"Hi, Mom. Happy Birthday! Did you receive the pears and apples? (as in, 2 dozen Royal Riviera pears and specialty apples from Harry and David)"

MIL--"Yes, I got them." (big pause)

hubby--"Well, you said that you and Dad really wanted to focus on eating healthier, so we thought you'd really enjoy them. We've had them, and it's really like eating dessert."

MIL--"I made a Waldorf salad with them. They taste about the same as the ones from Publix."

hubby (concerned)--"They are really supposed to be premium fruit. That wasn't our experience. I'll call and have them send another batch."

Notice in that whole conversation was NOT ONE "THANK YOU". So the hubby calls Harry and David, only to be told the whole truth. His mother called H & D and said the box was slightly smashed on one end, damaging one pear. They sent another 2 dozen pears and apples, along with truffles, cookies, and an assortment of other goodies. She still wasn't happy. So H & D sent the biggest tower of goodies they make, along with more fruit. The customer service rep told the hubby that "they really didn't know what else they could do to please this customer...any suggestions?"

My personal opinion is that she is greedy and selfish, and complained when there was really no problem in order to get more goods. Then, on top of that, she tells us that it tastes the same as fruit from the grocery store, and doesn't even utter a simple "thank you". Now, if you secretly consumed 6 DOZEN pears and apples, plus assorted goodies, could it really be bad fruit?

So in the words of my hubby, let me sum it up for you:

"She'll do frickin' anything to get what she wants. Now instead of being healthy, she's drowned the fruit in mayo and eaten massive amount of goodies. NICE. She'll be lucky to get anything next year."

Especially since I had to pick it out for her, dear hubby. If it were up to you, she would have gotten nothing ths year. I should have let sleeping dogs lie.

11 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

I think a nice box of earthworms would compliment the apples and your MIL very nicely.

Your husband should have just come out and said "a thank you would be nice."

6:49 PM  
Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

I love dd's response...and in reference to her comment about your husband asking for a thank you...isn't it funny that with our parents we are always the kids? My mom can and does say whatever comes to her mind and most of the time I just hold my tongue because she is the adult. When do I get to become the adult?????

7:41 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

wow! I'd love a gift like that!

(and I'm a mother-in-law ;-) )

I can't believe Harry and David went to so much trouble for her.

That reallly says a lot about their customer service.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Tasha said...

wow, the nerve of some people!!! I wouldn't get her anything next year either!

6:36 PM  
Blogger OMH said...

I'm thinking maybe he should call her back and say "I spoke with H & D and they told me you were unhappy and that they have done all they can to try to please you - so I just asked for my money back so I could buy you a "BRIDGE" to get over it on!"

Okay maybe that wouldn't be nice. But I wonder if she realizes that if you make them the exact same way drowning in the exact same stuff they will probably taste the exact same way!!!!!!!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I'd stop sending gifts.

5:07 PM  
Blogger keesh said...

hey, what happend to your other blog girl?

5:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Everytime I think I have heard everything crazy that woman could do.... she keeps coming up with more!! When are they moving? Not soon enough for you two I bet!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Destiny said...

How about ring her door bell and leave a brown bag of burning shit on her door step, then run like a bat out of hell!?

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I am a first time visitor to this site . I am an Indian and came to the USA two years back for research experience. Back home, generally it is a joint family, either the sons live with their parents or the parents move in with their sons. I always thought that M-I-L problems existed only in such joint families and not in cultures where parents do not live with their sons. I thought that distance improves the relationship. I do find this site and all your experiences very interesting. Now I know that M-I-L problem is universal.


Bharathi.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Miss-Informed said...

Don't you just love MIL's? I had all kinds of issues with mine, thankfully now things have balanced out. Your husband should just call her on her bad behaviour. She is an adult, she has to own her actions. He should have said something simple like, " Well, I am sorry that went the way it did. We were trying to be thoughtful of you. A thank you would be nice mother..." Oh well. Next year she'll be lucky if she gets anything. Some people you just cannot please. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home